Recumbent Riders Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mark's Infinity Project

+3
Racer46
Peder Torgersen
R42Pilot
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mark's Infinity Project Empty Mark's Infinity Project

Post by R42Pilot Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:23 am

No pictures yet, I just rolled into the driveway and had to update you.

The bike is what I thought it would be. It's a testament to how far recumbents have come.

Though I haven't gone over it with a fine tooth comb, yet, I can tell you there's a little more work than I thought. We're definitely in the worst case scenario category, mostly because it's been stored outside the last few years. That's OK... For what I have it, the repairs will be affordable and building the thing is half the fun!

The idler pulley appears to have sealed bearings, but they're rusted up. They can probably be replaced, but if not, then a Terracycle unit will work, maybe even a homebrew skatewheel job. The rear derailleur has some rust on it and is pretty low end, anyway. No issues, I have a better one. The front brake caliper is missing the pads, which is OK, because the rear brake is gone altogether! They're cheesy old school stamped brakes, anyway.... A nice set of dual pivot calipers will do nicely to increase stopping power.

The shifters are thumb shifters.... Cheap ones, to boot. I have a nice set of Shimano grip shifters that came off my Mountaintrack. They're 3x6, so just what the doctor ordered! I'm going to replace the cables and housings, too.

The seat is in good condition, but must be missing something in the back part, where it slides on the frame. I'm guessing there was some rubber strips bonded in the slider at one time... Something, because there's a lot of slop in that.

As I suspected, the tires and tubes are pretty much gone. No surprises, I expected that.

So.... I'm pleased. I'll get some pictures posted up tomorrow.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Mark's Infinity Project Empty Re: Mark's Infinity Project

Post by Peder Torgersen Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:57 pm

R42Pilot wrote:No pictures yet, I just rolled into the driveway and had to update you.

The bike is what I thought it would be. It's a testament to how far recumbents have come.

Though I haven't gone over it with a fine tooth comb, yet, I can tell you there's a little more work than I thought. We're definitely in the worst case scenario category, mostly because it's been stored outside the last few years. That's OK... For what I have it, the repairs will be affordable and building the thing is half the fun!

The idler pulley appears to have sealed bearings, but they're rusted up. They can probably be replaced, but if not, then a Terracycle unit will work, maybe even a homebrew skatewheel job. The rear derailleur has some rust on it and is pretty low end, anyway. No issues, I have a better one. The front brake caliper is missing the pads, which is OK, because the rear brake is gone altogether! They're cheesy old school stamped brakes, anyway.... A nice set of dual pivot calipers will do nicely to increase stopping power.

The shifters are thumb shifters.... Cheap ones, to boot. I have a nice set of Shimano grip shifters that came off my Mountaintrack. They're 3x6, so just what the doctor ordered! I'm going to replace the cables and housings, too.

The seat is in good condition, but must be missing something in the back part, where it slides on the frame. I'm guessing there was some rubber strips bonded in the slider at one time... Something, because there's a lot of slop in that.

As I suspected, the tires and tubes are pretty much gone. No surprises, I expected that.

So.... I'm pleased. I'll get some pictures posted up tomorrow.

Mark

Since you got some parts you can use and will have to by some new parts you should still be able to get a complete recumbent for a low price? If you get some rainfall days it might not take to long to finish? Since you have other ride able recumbents it doesn’t matter how much time you use to get it the way you see fit? I will be following your progress and it can be interesting to hear how it rides?

Peder

Peder Torgersen
Recumbent Rider
Recumbent Rider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:40 pm

As promised, here are the "before" picture of the Infinity project. I don't know how quickly I want to complete this project. I mostly want it to be right. I was looking at it today and the rear brake may be a challenge. It looks like I might have to make a drop bolt ala Sheldon Brown, or have a adapter made. I realize this came with a U brake stock and I don't want to go that route, instead, taking a modernistic approach to a classic bike. I'm looking long and hard at the seat, too. I may get me an aftermarket hardshell seat like Actionbent sells, or one of the others. Not sure, yet.

Speaking of the seat; Racer, there is a lot of slop in the back of the seat where it slides on the rails. I'm thinking there should be some UHMW strips, or something, between the seat and the bike tubing to take up that slop. What does your bike have?

Anyway, here are the pics:

Mark's Infinity Project IMG_0323

Mark's Infinity Project IMG_0324

Mark's Infinity Project IMG_0325

Mark's Infinity Project IMG_0326

Mark's Infinity Project IMG_0327

Mark's Infinity Project IMG_0329

Mark's Infinity Project IMG_0330

Mark's Infinity Project IMG_0331

Mark's Infinity Project IMG_0336
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:54 pm

I'll take a photo of mine and post it tomorrow. The U brackets on mine are welded to the seat and are open on the bottom. Grenade pins pass under the seat stays to hold it in place.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:06 am

So, is mine an older model... likely to break at the stays?

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:21 am

You know.... I've strayed out into the garage a few times and stared at it. The bike really is cool, especially for it's age.... The thing that strikes me is how friggin' large the seat is! Dude, I go 225 and have very broad shoulders and this lawn chair sucks me right up! Talk about a wind sail! I realize this bike was not meant to be a racer... Maybe even aimed at more of the touring market, but geez... This thing is way beyond ridiculous! I still think it's a pretty cool bike.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:40 am

R42Pilot wrote:So, is mine an older model... likely to break at the stays?

Mark
Your's is newer than mine. There is a brace between the chain stays on yours where the kick stand is mounted. These were added afer mine was built. You also have a thin tube that runs from the bottom bracket to the chain stay. This was done fairly early on to counter flex created while pedaling, mine has this. Look at the bottom bracket. On some Infinities there is a date code along with the serial #. Mine is a 1984 and has no date code. I figured it out from a guy on the Yahoo board who has one that is a few numbers higher than mine but his does have a date. They switched from a 4 digit serial # (I think the first one was 1001) to a larger number later that had some other information, like color, coded into it.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:43 am

R42Pilot wrote:You know.... I've strayed out into the garage a few times and stared at it. The bike really is cool, especially for it's age.... The thing that strikes me is how friggin' large the seat is! Dude, I go 225 and have very broad shoulders and this lawn chair sucks me right up! Talk about a wind sail! I realize this bike was not meant to be a racer... Maybe even aimed at more of the touring market, but geez... This thing is way beyond ridiculous! I still think it's a pretty cool bike.

Mark

That seat fits me quite well but I go quite a bit over 225.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:17 am

My SN seems to be 310036A, though it's kind of hard to read.

You know, I applied for membership to the Yahoo group, but haven't heard anything back.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:23 am

Racer... If you have the owner's e-mail address, would you send him an e-kick-in-the-nads and get him or her to approve my membership so I can peruse the stuff on there? I think I've been patient enough. Twisted Evil

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:22 pm

The owner is Russell Zech, he was riding the 24 hours of Sebring over the weekend. I'm guessing he's a little worn out.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:27 pm

I finally got accepted today. I felt like such an outsider there for a minute!

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:01 pm

Seat Pix:
Mark's Infinity Project Sbf10

Mark's Infinity Project Sl10

Mark's Infinity Project Srr10

Mark's Infinity Project Srs10

Bike turned upsidedown for ease of picture taking.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:12 pm

The small tube that runs from the bottom bracket to the left chainstay was added to keep the chainstays from cracking. Seems that the frame has enough flex that when pedaling the chain induced enough torque to bend the frame slightly at the chainstay with every pedal stroke. As I'm sure you know, aluminum doesn't like being bent repeatedly and will work harden and eventually break. It was determined that a brace was only needed on the left side as the chain itself kept the frame from bending the other way.

It’s a nice day and my day off so I’m going for a ride. I’ll catch up with you later.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:39 pm

Your seat definitely attaches different from mine. Mine just slides on the back and two grenade pins in the front. I'm going to fit some UHMW in between to take up some of the slop and protect the tubing. The previous (original?) rider had wrapped the tubes in tape to protect them. He/she seemed to have an affinity for electrical tape. Rolling Eyes I can't wait to clean it all off the bike and see how the original finish looks. I'm toying with the idea of having it powder coated.

I made a decision this morning. If I can get the tires to hold air, even for a little bit, I'm going to throw a bottom bracket and crank on it, lube up the chain and install some front brake pads. Then, I'm going to ride it around the block a time, or two, just to say I rode it before I break it down for overhaul.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:12 pm

I called Ace Tool & Engineering today and gave them my serial number. It turns out my bike was manufactured on my birthday, 10/07/91 and shipped 01/07/92 to it's first home in Austin Tx. It was a 12 speed, so it was originally equipped with a double.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:03 am

IT LIVES!!!!!!! BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! The $36 recumbent took to the streets tonight in God only knows how long. As soon as I got home from work, I put air in the tires and they HELD!! I quickly threw an old bottom bracket in and tossed on some Shimano 600 biopace cranks I had lying around. I put some brake shoes on the front, rerouted the cable, zip tied it to the top tube, a liberal dose of Tri-Flow to the rusty chain and VOILA!!!! I had to mess around with the front derailleur to get it working, but the back shifted just peachy. I ran it up and down the street and decided right away the seat was too close. I put it as far back as it would go and I was riding. Here's a couple pics and a short video as proof!

Mark's Infinity Project Th_MVI_0340

Mark's Infinity Project IMG_0339

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightturkey Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:39 am

Is that a mob of angry villagers with torches and pitchforks I see behind you, Dr. Frankenstein? Semi-seriously, though, not bad for 36 bucks! I'm certain the tweaking has just begun... Keep us posted!
Nightturkey
Nightturkey
Actionbent Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:29 pm

So far, I'm pretty impressed with how this thing is cleaning up. I had to do some straightening and adjusting of the front derailleur. It shifts just like a new one, now. The chain, after several liberal doses of Tri-flow and repeated wiping off of the excess, now seems serviceable with no frozen links. I removed what must have been half a roll of electrical tape from the frame and front fork, wiped her all down with simple green and polished the surface rust off the front fork. I've still got some cleaning to do on the wheels and then it will be time to spend money. I'll be needing tires and tubes right away. I've decided if I can't fine a suitable rear brake, I will bite the bullet and upgrade to some long reach dual pivot calipers.

Other than that, I think I'll just ride it as is for awhile to get a feel for if I really want to keep it. If and when I decide it's a permanent part of my fleet, I'll break it down for a complete overhaul. At that time, I'll repack everything, replace the chain, derailleurs and shifters. I will probably upgrade to a triple at the same time. It's a beautiful old bike. Used, perhaps neglected for several years, but seemingly not abused.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rydabyk Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:07 pm

Mark,

This looks like it's going to be fun project. It might make a pretty cool single speed, ever thought of one of those? Twisted Evil

Walt
rydabyk
rydabyk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rydabyk Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Mark,

Just watched the video, forget the single speed huh??? BTW the siren in the background...they weren't coming to haul you away were they?

$36 can't beat that with a stick!!!

Walt
rydabyk
rydabyk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Actually..... I looked at that. It could actually be made into a fixed gear, but that would be a whole bunch of chain to keep tight!

I'm thinking if I keep it, it will be my touring bike. I have a Burley Nomad that would pull nicely behind it.

No, there were no guys in straight jackets. There is a fire house a few blocks away, it was probably me burning up the streets! lol!

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rydabyk Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:41 pm

Mark,

Now that would make a great tourer. Doesn't look like you could be any more relaxed than that! I've never pulled a trailer, I'm not so sure I'd like that, too much room for me and you know the more room you have, the more sh#* you tend to take with you.Rolling Eyes

Walt
rydabyk
rydabyk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:30 am

The Nomad pulls really nice. I have no qualms about towing it.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:22 am

Thanks to some tips from Racer, I overhauled my steering and rearranged the cable bolts. The bike handles great. I'm amazed at how well this seventeen year old bike does. I believe this is an overlooked and underappreciated platform.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next