Recumbent Riders Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shimano PD-A530 SPD Pedals

+2
Racer46
BluesCat
6 posters

Go down

Shimano PD-A530 SPD Pedals Empty Shimano PD-A530 SPD Pedals

Post by BluesCat Fri May 01, 2009 4:09 am

Last Sunday, I picked up a pair of Shimano SH-M076 Sport Mountain Bike Shoes and looked at clipless pedals at my LBS. They had had a busy Saturday and their supply of pedals was severely depleted, but they said they would be getting in some more towards the end of the week.

Today, I stopped back by there on my way home and their stock of pedals had been refreshed. I saw a pair of Shimano PD-A530 SPD Pedals and liked the idea of a platform on one side and the SPD clipless on the other. You can ride using regular shoes, using the platform side, and use either the clipless or the platform side with your SPD mountain bike shoes.

I studied the challenges that Pete (Racer46), and others, had with SPD pedals, and looked at the (more expensive) Bebop pedals. Being the cheapskate that I am, I decided to risk it and buy the PD-A530s. Brought them home and put them on the EZ Sport (I have to say: they are really stylin' and the fit the swoopy curves and panache of the Sport really well; and, yes, that did play a part in the purchasing decision).

I rode around for about an hour this evening. Clipping, un-clipping, flipping the pedal over with the toe of the shoe to use the platform, flipping it back, clipping, un-clipping ... etc., etc. I discovered I could back the tension screw off almost all the way and they are really easy to clip in/clip out; yet I could pull up as hard as I wanted and they would not come out of the pedal if I didn't pivot my foot. My understanding is that after they begin to break in you can readjust the tension screw to be much more solid and yet not affect your ability to clip out.

So far I am very satisfied.
BluesCat
BluesCat

Male

Back to top Go down

Shimano PD-A530 SPD Pedals Empty Re: Shimano PD-A530 SPD Pedals

Post by Racer46 Fri May 01, 2009 8:52 pm

I'm glad you like them. Even with my Bebops I average 1 pedal related fall on any ride over 20 miles.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Fri May 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Racer46 wrote:I'm glad you like them. Even with my Bebops I average 1 pedal related fall on any ride over 20 miles.

"Think I'll pull over here and.... affraid crash wtf "

Sorry. Embarassed

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesCat Fri May 01, 2009 9:58 pm

R42Pilot wrote:
Racer46 wrote:I'm glad you like them. Even with my Bebops I average 1 pedal related fall on any ride over 20 miles.

Sorry. Embarassed

Mark

(chuckle) Knock on wood, I've only had one almost-fall, and that was when I clipped into the left one for about the second or third time; when the tension was at the factory setting. I was sitting in the living room, with my right foot on the floor. I tried to un-clip from the left pedal, and it was really stuck in there. As I was wiggling and wiggling my shoe, I failed to notice I was slowly leaning the bike over to the left. I suddenly realized I was over the top and starting to go down to the left. I got free just in time to get my foot down and prevent a face-plant into the cat condo. (Good thing, too, because Morris the Mean was sleeping in there and probably would have taken my scalp if that had happened).

laughing
BluesCat
BluesCat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri May 01, 2009 10:43 pm

How much if I can ask, I'm running some big ugly platform and they look good.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by teacherbill Sat May 02, 2009 12:19 am

Admin wrote:How much if I can ask, I'm running some big ugly platform and they look good.

Me too! I figure that I will get the hang of the conversion, then dig out the old clip-less without the strap, then progress to the land of Silvio and then be brave enough to go spd. thumbs up But I am afraid that if I push it too fast I will crash instead of recum
teacherbill
teacherbill

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Sat May 02, 2009 12:50 am

R42Pilot wrote:

Sorry. Embarassed

Mark

I'm falling less often now that I'm riding the trike. thumbs up
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by karterjimm Sat May 02, 2009 1:24 am

I'm falling less often now that I'm riding the trike.

Obviously, Pete, not enough beer! beer chug

I switched to eggbeaters about 3 years ago and only fell a few times when I wasn't thinking. Now it is habit. Unclipping, unclipping, I still think occasionally. Razz Tried riding my wife's bike without clipping in and I had a hard time keeping my feet on the pedals. What a Face
karterjimm
karterjimm

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesCat Sat May 02, 2009 2:25 am

The PD-A530s were $99 USD, and they included a pair of SM-SH51 SPD cleats (normally $20 USD). My LBS always automatically gives me a 10% discount so it was $89 USD plus tax. (Online I've seen them for as low as $66 USD, but you have to be careful: if it isn't the same Shimano SKU it may not include the cleats.)
BluesCat
BluesCat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Sat May 02, 2009 2:11 pm

Racer46 wrote:
R42Pilot wrote:

Sorry. Embarassed

Mark

I'm falling less often now that I'm riding the trike. thumbs up

Laughing Laughing Laughing That's a good thing! Maybe you need one of those signs on the back of your trike that says, "If you can read this, it means I'm upside down. Please flip me over"

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by teacherbill Sat May 02, 2009 3:36 pm

R42Pilot wrote:That's a good thing! Maybe you need one of those signs on the back of your trike that says, "If you can read this, it means I'm upside down. Please flip me over"

Mark

I like that! thumbs up lol! laughing
teacherbill
teacherbill

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Sat May 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Great idea, I'll put it on the seat bottom. Pictures as soon as it' done.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesCat Sat May 02, 2009 6:42 pm

(snicker) Then you can do new commercials for LifeCall:

"I've flipped my trike and I can't get up!"

Did my first real ride with the PD-A530's today. No 0-mph Artie Johnson's, but of course I'm still very conscious of being attached to the bike as I pull up to an intersection. Clipping in and clipping out is getting much more automatic.
BluesCat
BluesCat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesCat Thu May 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Alrighty then!

Have had the PD-A530's for exactly two weeks as of today, so I have some data to share.

Average speed on my commute has increased by 0.5 mph and is still climbing.

Heart rate at the end of even mild climbs has decreased as well.

Took an unknown route this morning, only to discover it was a dead end, but spotted an alleyway which looked like it might work to get me up on the canal path quicker. Speed dropped from around 15 mph to 11 mph, then to 9 mph as I circled around ... looking ... looking ... 5 mph ... still looking ... (you know where this is headed).

Front wheel started to twitch left and right as the balance went ... might as well pull to a stop and take a sip of water ... 2 mph ... hit the brake.

ACK! STILL CLIPPED IN!! affraid

Push-Pivot-Pop! Left shoe popped right out, hit the pavement ... no problem.

Whipped the water bottle off the handlebar cage and took a big glug, feeling like Armstrong winning a Tour De France stage.

Gawd, I'm GOOD! cheers
BluesCat
BluesCat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by teacherbill Thu May 14, 2009 5:36 pm

BluesCat wrote:Gawd, I'm GOOD! cheers

NOW comes the fall. crash
teacherbill
teacherbill

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Thu May 14, 2009 6:53 pm

Yeah, now you done it..... Bragging too soon is dangerous!

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesCat Thu May 14, 2009 9:21 pm

He, he. Razz

Tempting Fate, eh? Wink

Maybe I'll quit clipping in for a few days, Time out , until the dreaded Dementors pass me by! rolling on the floor
BluesCat
BluesCat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down