Recumbent Riders Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It’s Alive, IT’S ALIVE…(Almost)

5 posters

Go down

It’s Alive, IT’S ALIVE…(Almost) Empty It’s Alive, IT’S ALIVE…(Almost)

Post by Racer46 Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:46 pm

I installed the chain and cluster derailleur cable today.

The chain is 1 link short. No real problem for now, it just means that I can’t cross chain big ring to largest cluster gear. You’re not supposed to do that any way.

I’m having a little problem adjusting the cluster derailleur. I can get it to go from gears 1-5 or 2-6 but not 1-6. I had this same problem with the old derailleur in the original configuration so I bought a new 7 speed derailleur but never installed it until now. I’m beginning to think the problem is with the cheap SRAM twist grip shifter. I got the front derailleur adjusted with no problems.

The maiden voyage didn’t go too well. I rolled down the driveway to get a feel for the bike. This thing gives a new meaning to front end heavy! When I was ready to start pedaling I pushed with my right foot and pulled with my right hand to compensate. That’s when I found that the handlebar quill was too loose. Pushed it back to the garage, re-aligned the bars and tightened the quill. Then I tried it again. Rolled down the driveway into the street with no problem. When I went to take off, same thing, the quill was too loose. Back to the garage. I re-aligned the bars and tightened the crap out of the quill bolt. Unfortunately by this time I should have been getting ready for work so I put off the attempt until tomorrow. I’m using a 1” quill with the adapter that came with the kit. If it’s still too loose tomorrow I’ll ride down to the LBS and see if he has a 1 1/8” quill in his spare parts box. If not I’ll look for a stem.

Pictures of the finished bike tomorrow, before I ride it and break my arm or something.
crash
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

It’s Alive, IT’S ALIVE…(Almost) Empty Re: It’s Alive, IT’S ALIVE…(Almost)

Post by Racer46 Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:31 pm

Took some pictures before my first ride.

It’s Alive, IT’S ALIVE…(Almost) Cruz_r10

It’s Alive, IT’S ALIVE…(Almost) Cruz_r11

It’s Alive, IT’S ALIVE…(Almost) Cruz_l10

Turns out my problem with the handlebars moving was not at the stem but at the base of the steerer extension tube. The bolts were snug but not tight and I hadn't tightened the safety bolt at all.

The first ride was scary. I'm sure I'll get used to it with practice but for today all I did was ride to the end of the street and back, by that time I was so tense I had to get off the bike. Time out I'll take it out again tomorrow but right now I'm going to put some miles on the Infinity where I can relax.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peder Torgersen Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:21 pm

Seems you have had fun building I hope your riding goes well just use some time to get used to riding it.

Good looking bike well done.

Peder

Peder Torgersen
Recumbent Rider
Recumbent Rider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Thanx Peder. Yes, I had fun building. This one took longer than I thought it would but I think I could do another in about 3-4 hours if all the parts were on hand.

Just after my last post I had to spend about an hour on the phone with an insurance adjuster, my wife’s car got tagged in the parking lot where she works, so I didn’t have time to ride the Infinity. Got back on the Cruzbike instead and made it around the block. I’m still not comfortable but I made it. I stopped and tried to start on level ground, my other start had been a rolling one from the driveway and the handlebar moved again. So I parked the bike and headed for my LBS on the way to work. I scored a 1 1/8” quill and a stem out of the used parts box. I think I’d prefer to use the stem because of it’s better grip but I don’t think it has enough rise, my knees were hitting the handlebar with my current quill in it’s lowest position and the stem would be lower. The new quill has an adjustable arm so height and distance can be changed, I just hope it has enough grip.

I found out that the front spring / shock is not up to the extra weight of my fat butt plus the Cruzbike kit. It bottoms out when I transition from the driveway to the street and back. This is a cheap-o WalMart bike and the fork is not adjustable. Once I get comfortable on it I’ll be looking for a better donor.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:38 am

Pete,

You can always reverse the stem, so it points toward you and bring the handlebar closer to you. That should give you the knee clearance you need.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:23 am

R42Pilot wrote:Pete,

You can always reverse the stem, so it points toward you and bring the handlebar closer to you. That should give you the knee clearance you need.

Mark

Mark,

The only problem with that is that I might not have enough belly clearence rolling on the floor but I'll give it a try.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by defjack Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:50 pm

Check out the conversion kit brag board = cruiser bars. Cruiser bars are cheap and work great.I use a short adjustable stem and have plenty of knee clearance. Jack
defjack
defjack

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanx Jack. I've got my eye on one at the LBS $14. Just don't want to spend any more money right now. I thought I was getting a tax refund. The IRS had different ideas.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by teacherbill Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Pete,

You are learning to share the wealth!!
teacherbill
teacherbill

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:05 pm

My 200th Post, YEA!

The 1 1/8" quill seems to work. I'm going to hang on to the stem just in case.

I rode about 2 miles today, I'm still not comfortable on this bike and won't take it out of the neighborhood until I am.

I think I'm going to start a thread on Tips & Tricks of Learning to Ride a Cruzbike, except that I don't have any yet.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Hips, man.... It's all in the hips.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:17 am

I've heard this before but I'm confused. Am I supposed to be moving them or keeping them still? There have been a couple of times I've found that I was not centered on the seat but trying to move my hips / butt over almost caused a crash.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum