Recumbent Riders Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

la Route verte

5 posters

Go down

la Route verte Empty la Route verte

Post by rydabyk Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:30 pm

This http://www.routeverte.com/rv/index_e.php has been on my radar for quite some time and is someplace I want to ride. Has anyone done this or have any knowledge of it? It's just another one of the reasons I've been studying French for the past year. Whenever I do go ride it, I want to try and converse in the language if possible, plus, I just like the French language.

Walt
rydabyk
rydabyk

Male

Back to top Go down

la Route verte Empty Re: la Route verte

Post by I.M.Bent Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:07 am

Sign me up.

I.M.Bent

I.M.Bent
Recumbent Rider
Recumbent Rider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DebGem Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:36 pm

I realize this post was many quite some time ago, but I am a new member who thought others may still be reading about the route. There are miles and miles of routes to choose. My husband and I did the Lac St Jean route route a few years ago, with another couple. It was a fantastic ride and the B&B accomodations and baggage transport from each location happened without a glitch.

Encircling Lac Saint Jean is a 272 kilometer bicycle path, Veloroute des Bleuets. Some sections of the path run directly alongside the lake. Other sections meander through meadows and traverse quaint small towns. When you want to take a break, you’ll find wonderful sandy beaches and numerous comfortable rest stops. The words casse croute will be added to your French vocabulary. It’s a snack bar. They’re common along the route, both beach-side and in the towns. Granted, they don’t represent the best of French cuisine, but they are convenient.

If you bring your own bike it’s easy to access the veloroute from any of the small towns all the way around the lake. There are also a number of places that offer good quality bikes for rent.
You can bike all the way around the lake, packing your gear with you and staying in different hotels every night. This is easily done because the lake is dotted all the way around with hospitable small towns with B&B's. This also means you can reduce the amount of food you have to cart with you because supplies are readily available at many points. Campgrounds are plentiful so you can camp your way around the lake if you don’t mind carrying the extra gear needed to do that. Do you want to bike the entire circumference of the lake without carrying any gear? Well, your hospitable hosts have thought of that too! There is a reasonably priced luggage transfer service available so you can arrange to have your bags transported each day to the hotel in the next town you intend to bike to. They have really made this so easy and accessible that the only thing left for you to do is pedal your bike, stopping once in a while to pick fresh raspberries and blueberries of course!
The Sagenuay-Lac-Saint-Jean region is also home to a wide variety of wildlife, including whales. These magnificent creatures of the sea can be found here from May to October each year. Five species of whales are commonly seen in the St. Lawrence at Tadoussac: beluga, minke, finback, humpback, and the blue whale. If you sit on the rocks at the shore where the fjord meets the St. Lawrence, you will have a very good chance of seeing whales, many whales. Even a casual walk in the sand along the beach at Tadoussac may bring you a whale sighting, right in the bay. In fact, some belugas love the St. Lawrence so much that they make it their year-round home!
Another route is the Le Petit Train Du Nord, lots of sites if you google this.
DebGem
DebGem

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rydabyk Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:32 am

DebGem,

First of all WELCOME!!!

This is still very much high on my bucket list, thanks for the information. Do you have any pictures?

Thanks,

Walt
rydabyk
rydabyk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DebGem Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:03 pm

I have pics and would send them if I could figure out how to do it.....
DebGem
DebGem

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rydabyk Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Host an Image...6th from the left above the reply box, just click on it and upload from your computer.

Walt
rydabyk
rydabyk

Male

Back to top Go down

la Route verte Empty I have tried

Post by DebGem Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:30 pm

I have tried but no success. I have uploaded the pics to the pic hosting site, but can't get them from there to the forum??? confused
DebGem
DebGem

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rydabyk Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Try just uploading them and then right clicking and copy and paste. That's what I do, it seems easier to me.
rydabyk
rydabyk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rydabyk Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:54 pm

Hey Rick or maybe ze Cat, I'm sure that you can explain this better than I can...HELP!!!
rydabyk
rydabyk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rydabyk Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:35 am

Thanks for the pic's, this looks like a good ride. Many mosquito's or other flying things?

Oh, I hope you don't mind that I re-posted them for you, I thought it easier than opening each one separately.

Walt

la Route verte Img_0810

la Route verte Img_0910

la Route verte Img_0911

la Route verte Img_0912

la Route verte Img_0913

la Route verte Img_0914
rydabyk
rydabyk

Male

Back to top Go down

la Route verte Empty Bugs and other flying things

Post by DebGem Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:42 pm

No, we did not have a problem with mosquitoes or flying things. We did this trip in September. Thank you for reposting pics so they show up in the forum, I just could not get it to work that way for me. If someone can give me exact steps I will try next time. I am off to New York city today for a ride on 10-10-10 so will post about that bike route when we get back in a week. I also have another route verte ride to tell you about.
DebGem
DebGem

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rydabyk Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:01 pm

Looking forward to hearing about them.
Thanks,
Walt
rydabyk
rydabyk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DebGem Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:53 pm

I am back from cycling in New York City, but first, here is a superb link to use if you are planning to cycle in Quebec on parts of Route Verte.
http://www.velo.qc.ca/english/index.php

For the Petit Train du Nord go to this site and use google translation for english...
http://www.laurentides.com/parclineaire/

Or try this one:
http://www.out-there.com/pt-train.htm
DebGem
DebGem

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:24 pm

DebGem wrote:I have pics and would send them if I could figure out how to do it.....

DebGem did you ever figure out how to post pictures.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesCat Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Admin wrote:
DebGem wrote:I have pics and would send them if I could figure out how to do it.....
DebGem did you ever figure out how to post pictures.

Yeah, I'll have time to help now if you need help!
BluesCat
BluesCat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rydabyk Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:51 pm

Yea DebGem....that is most definitely on my bucket list! Thanks for the links.

Walt
rydabyk
rydabyk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum