Recumbent Riders Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New and blue

+4
Racer46
Red381
Admin
Nightturkey
8 posters

Go down

New and blue Empty New and blue

Post by Nightturkey Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:19 pm

New and blue Blubik11
Well folks, here it is. Like myself, it is built for comfort not for speed. I anticipate getting many many long, slow miles out of it. I put it in the "CLWB" section, even though it might not technically BE a CLWB, just so the section wouldn't be so forlorn and nekkid.
Nightturkey
Nightturkey
Actionbent Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

New and blue Empty Re: New and blue

Post by Admin Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:31 pm

I found this site through our RRSC site advertisements Day 6 bikes Kinda reminds me of those Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Red381 Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:36 am

Nightturkey,

Your new ride looks great!..... I'll borrow a line from a guy that joined here and hasn't ever really come back to post again, A. D. Carson...... He says on BROL in his signature line, "The right bike is the one you will ride!"........

Hope you get tons of miles out of the new bike, enjoy!........ cheers
Red381
Red381

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:37 am

Nice bike Turkey. Looks like you're ready to travel. The angled seat tube makes me think of a Rans Fusion.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightturkey Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:08 am

R46 - it's fairly similar. I rode a Rans Fusion at the LBS where I bought this one, and while it was a real sweet ride I liked the handlebar geometry on this one better.
Nightturkey
Nightturkey
Actionbent Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by I.M.Bent Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:28 am

Yeah, you're going to look good profiling on that one, Nightturkey!

We looked at the Rans version at the recumbent rally at Hostel Shoppe last summer. It kind of caught my eye for a comfortable ride for my daughter.

You'll be smiling all the way to work.

I.M.Bent

I.M.Bent
Recumbent Rider
Recumbent Rider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rydabyk Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:46 pm

Definitely looks comfy. It also looks like you're ready to go somewhere. I could envision a 3-4 day tour of the Katy Trail or someplace like that.

Walt
rydabyk
rydabyk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesCat Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:16 pm

Ah yes, a Sun EZ-Sunray SX, yes?

I rode one at my LBS, and was very satisfied: very comfortable and the price was very right. Was almost ready to pull the trigger on it before they brought out the blue EZ-Sport.

After I rode the Sport, with the high back seat, I almost pulled the trigger before I looked at the price (more than TWICE the price of the EZ-Sunray). Then, I backed off and mulled it for over three months. Christmas came and went, the EZ-Sunray sold and they said they would probably not get another one in until the Spring.

I took an MH (mental health) day from work to clear my head in early February and was looking around for something to do. Went to the bike shop in the morning, saw that they still had the EZ-Sport, so I bought it and rode it into the afternoon.

When my wife got home from work that afternoon, she saw it and was a little tight lipped when she asked how much I paid for it...

The moral of this story: I would probably have been just as happy with the EZ-Sunray as I am with the EZ Sport, and the household tension about my purchase would have been appreciably less.

One last thing: my daily commute takes me around a bunch of multi-use paths which include overpasses and underpasses which are definitely made for pedestrians. The tight switchbacks on some of these as they change levels are a cinch to ride on my Giant MTB, but I have to put my feet down and duck paddle around them on the EZ Sport. I bet the EZ-Sunray would negotiate them just as easily as the Giant.

BTW, I think some folks define a CLWB as "a bike which looks like a LWB, but the wheelbase is less than 63 inches." I bet the EZ-Sunray qualifies.

BluesCat cat

BluesCat
BluesCat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightturkey Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:24 pm

See, that's what I like about this forum. In two words, Friendly Folks. See y'all on the road - and remember, the rubber parts go DOWN, the chrome parts stay UP.
Nightturkey
Nightturkey
Actionbent Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:55 am

I think that's a great looking bike, but I don't think it's a CLWB. I think it's closer to a crank forward, except with the smaller wheel up front.

Turkey, have you tried to stand up on it? It almost looks like you could and if you can, I say it's a CF.

Nice looking ride.... I want a crank forward, for sure... That seems like a pretty cheap way to get into it. The only negative thing I could say is.... two different szed tires and tubes. Weak, I know, but it's all I could come up with!

NICE!

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightturkey Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:50 am

Mark; it is impossible to stand up on the pedals, but otherwise I think you're probably right about it being more of a CF, not a CLWB, depending on how accurate BluesCat's definition of CLWB is. But it filled up the Forum topic nicely, don't you think? I'll get out my tape measure this afternoon after work and measure hub-to-hub, if that would shed any light on anything. One thing's for sure, though - whatever technical category it might eventually find itself in, it meets and exceeds all criteria for the category of SWEEEET! Very Happy
Nightturkey
Nightturkey
Actionbent Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:22 pm

That's all that counts, that it fits your bill! I think it's a fine looking bicycle.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesCat Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:05 pm

Nightturkey:

Hey! I just thought of sumthin'! Y'all are aware I'm trying to get my lovely (and forgiving) wife to get back in the saddle again...

Do you think a 5'2" gal would be comfortable on the EZ-Sunray? Heck, CF is the biggest advantage of cruisers, and I found the EZ-Sunray to be just as easy to ride as an Electra, and the price would DEFINITELY work in my favor.

Whattaya think?

BluesCat cat

BluesCat
BluesCat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightturkey Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:47 pm

My wife is 5'-0" and she doesn't want to ride a bike where her feet can't touch the ground flat-footed. On the SunRay the seat adjusts so that she fits it (and it fits her) just fine. Go for it!

Oh - and hub to hub it's 54", compared with 44" for my Taiwan Red and 42" for my Peugeot DF.

Last edited by Nightturkey on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added data)
Nightturkey
Nightturkey
Actionbent Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesCat Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:40 pm

Nightturkey wrote:My wife is 5'-0" and she doesn't want to ride a bike where her feet can't touch the ground flat-footed. On the SunRay the seat adjusts so that she fits it (and it fits her) just fine. Go for it!

Oh - and hub to hub it's 54", compared with 44" for my Taiwan Red and 42" for my Peugeot DF.

Alright!

Now, my favorite LBS says they will get another Sunray in in the Spring. If I can just get them to up the schedule a bit, one Saturday morning, soon, I'll say:

"Hey, Hon. Let's take the truck, I need to drop off the bike for the free checkup."

... Then: "Why, look at THIS, Sweetheart! Golly! It looks just like mine ... "

New and blue Ezspor14

... "Say, why don't you hop aboard and give it a shot. You KNOW how much I've been saying how EASY it is!"

Yeah, yeah, I think I got it!

BluesCat cat

BluesCat
BluesCat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightturkey Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 pm

...and I won't even charge ya a finder's fee... Smile
Nightturkey
Nightturkey
Actionbent Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightturkey Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:31 pm

FIRST HUNDRED MILES REPORT: No Carpal Tunnel problems, No Recum-butt, no back pain, just one of the world's most comfortable rides (for me, anyway). In the words of ...well, somebody, "We've got a winner here, folks!" BluesCat, I think the wife will like it. I have yet to name the critter; as my other bike is named "Taiwan Red", this one needs to have a "Blue" name. I'm sure I'll think of something as time-and-a-half goes by.
Nightturkey
Nightturkey
Actionbent Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesCat Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:26 am

Nightturkey:

Thanks for the report. I'm going to talk to my LBS about when they're going to get another one in. Heck, if I can swing it, I might just go ahead have them order one for me and have them put it out on the floor when I drag her in there.

A name with "Blue' in it ... hmmm ... Blues ... something ... gosh ... it's coming to me ... scratch
BluesCat
BluesCat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Red381 Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:13 am

BluesCat wrote:Nightturkey:

A name with "Blue' in it ... hmmm ... Blues ... something ... gosh ... it's coming to me ... scratch

Nightturkey I was just surfing over at BROL, and wouldn't you know it, Bryan Ball has a Blue SunRay for sale that has only been ridden once...... He's asking $300 plus shipping......... You might want to give the web-site a look......
Red381
Red381

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:46 am

OOH!!! You could call it Blue Ball's!

Sorry Embarassed

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male