Recumbent Riders Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trike question

+2
Racer46
richard
6 posters

Go down

Trike question Empty Trike question

Post by richard Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:25 pm

My question about trikes is wouldnt it be better to have a large rear wheel. I guess this applies to tadpole trikes. I had a Rans Tailwind bent. It had a 20 inch rear wheel. I always worried about how low to the ground the derailer hung. It always seemed to me that it would be in danger of damage from curbs etc. Also it put the rerailer and chain further down in the dirt. A 26" or a 700C would place the chain and derailer higher.

richard
Recumbent Rider
Recumbent Rider

Back to top Go down

Trike question Empty Re: Trike question

Post by Racer46 Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:20 pm

I swapped the 20" wheel on my Zoomer for a 26", TerraTrike sells a kit, to get the higher top speed. I have kept the 20" wheel for those times when we head to the hilly portion of Central Florida and I want the lower gear inch range it provides. Yes I know hills & Florida seem mutually exclusive but we have a couple in the center of the state and I'm old, fat & out of shape. (Actually round is a shape but not a good one for bike riding.)
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by garrybuck Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:13 am

There's no single right answer. A big rear wheel will give a higher top speed, a smaller one gives a lower granny gear. It's a trade off.

Personally, I'll sacrifice top speed to get a low granny gear, but that's just me. I'm not a fast rider.
garrybuck
garrybuck
Recumbent Rider
Recumbent Rider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesCat Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:27 pm

I have this one item on the Dream Shelf in the back of my mind which involves getting rich enough to buy a Catrike 700 and doing over 50 mph down a nice, long grade about three miles north of my place.
BluesCat
BluesCat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:51 pm

Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by I.M.Bent Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:35 am

richard wrote:My question about trikes is wouldnt it be better to have a large rear wheel. I guess this applies to tadpole trikes. I had a Rans Tailwind bent. It had a 20 inch rear wheel. I always worried about how low to the ground the derailer hung. It always seemed to me that it would be in danger of damage from curbs etc. Also it put the rerailer and chain further down in the dirt. A 26" or a 700C would place the chain and derailer higher.

The rear diameter determines how much the seatback will incline on a tadpole.

I.M.Bent
Recumbent Rider
Recumbent Rider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BCTriker Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:55 pm

The Catrike Speed has the 20" rear wheel and 16" up front. The seat recline is 33degrees and the Road has a 37degree recline with 20" all around. I own a '09 Trail with 20" wheels and a 45degree recline, thats just perfect for me. I've also got the WindwrapGX fairing, but without the tilting hardware. At 27gears its not to bad but an additional 3 speed hub (nxt year) and I'll be able to climb anything. I need all the help I can get with the hills in my area.
BCTriker
BCTriker

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down