Recumbent Riders Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trice Manufacturing

2 posters

Go down

Trice Manufacturing Empty Trice Manufacturing

Post by Admin Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:20 pm

Inspired Cycle Engineering, Ltd (Cornwall UK) http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/
Makers of the respected Trice Tadpole Trikes, two models now.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Trice Manufacturing Empty Re: Trice Manufacturing

Post by tricerider Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:06 am

'Not sure that ICE only has two models. Currently they supply 26 inch rear wheel and 20 inch rear wheel versions of both their Q and T models. If you then add the standard width and NT (narrow track) versions of both trikes, surely you have eight models in the range. Or are you simply classifying these as variations of the same two models? Even though they change the look, feel and ride of the machine, I have not included the hard shell seat variants of either trike. But only because these sports-type seats are high-cost options which some prospective owners may not wish to consider. By the way ~ All the 26 inch wheel machines have non-folding frames, so not as easy to transport…
tricerider
tricerider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:32 pm

imppact wrote:'Not sure that ICE only has two models. Currently they supply 26 inch rear wheel and 20 inch rear wheel versions of both their Q and T models. If you then add the standard width and NT (narrow track) versions of both trikes, surely you have eight models in the range. Or are you simply classifying these as variations of the same two models? Even though they change the look, feel and ride of the machine, I have not included the hard shell seat variants of either trike. But only because these sports-type seats are high-cost options which some prospective owners may not wish to consider. By the way ~ All the 26 inch wheel machines have non-folding frames, so not as easy to transport…

Ice makes two models the Q & the T and each comes in a Standard & 26 inch version and you have the option to buy each version in Narrow Track if you prefer it, but as near as I can tell from the site list there is only the two models. As far as setting the trike up with seats and other things, that's a personal preference thing. BTW the 26' rear can be replaced with a 700c which is pretty neat.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tricerider Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:55 pm

I appreciate your point, but I’m still inclined to think of them as eight separate models. However having checked the ICE website I see they only publish two prices, one price for their 26 inch model and the other for the slightly dearer 20 inch suspension and folding version. So perhaps ICE themselves view their range exactly as you do, two models with slightly different specs. What I didn't realise is the current ICE range also supports the European 700c wheel size...
Thanks for the info admin
tricerider
tricerider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:03 pm

imppact wrote:I appreciate your point, but I’m still inclined to think of them as separate models. However having checked the ICE website I see they only publish two prices, one price for their 26 inch model and the other for the slightly dearer 20 inch suspension and folding version. So perhaps ICE themselves view their range exactly as you do, two models with slightly different specs ~ What I didn't realise is the current ICE range also supports the European 700c wheel size...Thanks for the info admin

I think the 700c conversion is a great selling point and if I ever sell my Speed you can bet I'm going too the Trice. I did the 700c conversion to my Strada and works great, it gave me a higher top end and cruising speed. The only bad part it doesn't climb as well, the good part is I have a greater selection of tires to choose from.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tricerider Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:15 pm

Why doesn't it climb as well with 700c wheels?
tricerider
tricerider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:55 pm

imppact wrote:Why doesn't it climb as well with 700c wheels?

When I purchased the Strada it came with 559s which is basically a 26" it didn't dawn on me at the time but when I did the conversion the wheel circumference changed so I have more wheel I'm turning, on the flats it doesn't bother, it's just like a DF but the climbs it tends to be a little harder so I compensate with gearing. BTW be aware to anyone with short legs thinking of a conversion you'll also gain about 3 inches in seat height.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tricerider Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:50 am

Thanks admin, that makes prefect sense. I had a similar situation with my Dahon Speed TR folder. That particular bike came from the factory with Schwalbe Big Apples fitted. Unfortunately with me riding these things bounce up and down, wasting energy, so I swapped them for a set of 1.35 section Marathon Plus. The replacement tyres (tires) are a fair bit smaller so things are different; gearing lower and the dynamo hub brighter! The bike no longer bounces and the ride is now what I expect from a quality touring machine...Because the overall wheel size is smaller, these changes have been positive for me. BTW - The Big Apples are great on a trike, possibly the ideal tyre for this kind of machine…Finally please excuse me for being dim, but when using “DF” do you mean a standard diamond frame bicycle?
tricerider
tricerider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:01 pm

imppact wrote:Thanks admin, that makes prefect sense. I had a similar situation with my Dahon Speed TR folder. That particular bike came from the factory with Schwalbe Big Apples fitted. Unfortunately with me riding these things bounce up and down, wasting energy, so I swapped them for a set of 1.35 section Marathon Plus. The replacement tyres (tires) are a fair bit smaller so things are different; gearing lower and the dynamo hub brighter! The bike no longer bounces and the ride is now what I expect from a quality touring machine...Because the overall wheel size is smaller, these changes have been positive for me. BTW - The Big Apples are great on a trike, possibly the ideal tyre for this kind of machine…Finally please excuse me for being dim, but when using “DF” do you mean a standard diamond frame bicycle?

Yes DF means a standard diamond frame bicycle just like using bent means Recumbent. Just a question, you said you swapped the Big apples and went to the Marathon plus, are they as good as they say. I'm asking because I'm thinking about a set for my Speed I just haven't had real good luck with the Stelvios. I'm also thinking about the
Kojaks 16 x 1 1/4
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tricerider Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:09 pm

When I owned my Alex Moulton AM7s, I ran Stelvios on both machines and was very pleased with their performance. But I don’t think I’d want them on my Speed TR and certainly not on my QNT. The Marathon Plus has decent tread (read grip) and, in my experience, provides good puncture protection. The Kevlar bead that runs underneath the tread helps keep most nasty objects away from the tube. I’ve actually pulled thorns from a rear Marathon Plus without getting punctures. That said, a friend has them on his recumbent bike and he recently had two punctures in quick succession. IMHO - Marathon Plus are probably better than other versions of the same tyre...The Big Apple is a very different tyre. Schwalbe call them a “Balloon Tyre” and its easy to understand why. They literally are full of air and very bouncy! Just what you need on a trike where you are not sat directly over the wheels.
tricerider
tricerider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:23 pm

imppact wrote:When I owned my Alex Moulton AM7s, I ran Stelvios on both machines and was very pleased with their performance. But I don’t think I’d want them on my Speed TR and certainly not on my QNT. The Marathon Plus has decent tread (read grip) and, in my experience, provides good puncture protection. The Kevlar bead that runs underneath the tread helps keep most nasty objects away from the tube. I’ve actually pulled thorns from a rear Marathon Plus without getting punctures. That said, a friend has them on his recumbent bike and he recently had two punctures in quick succession. IMHO - Marathon Plus are probably better than other versions of the same tyre...The Big Apple is a very different tyre. Schwalbe call them a “Balloon Tyre” and its easy to understand why. They literally are full of air and very bouncy! Just what you need on a trike where you are not sat directly over the wheels.

Even though I haven't had the best of luck with the Stelvios I'd would like to have them again (dumb isn't it) but it appears that Schwalbe isn't going to make them in the 16' tire anymore. The bent shop owner says the kojaks are replacing the Stelvios so either them or the Marathon plus.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tricerider Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:13 pm

'Haven’t tried the Kojak, so I can't comment on the tyre...But I am aware that manufacturers rationalise their product ranges from time to time. That is exactly how I started using the Stelvios. At the time, they were the only affordable 17 inch tyre I could find! I don’t know whether all these tyre are available to US customers, but the German Schwalbe website http://www.schwalbe.de/gbl/en/homepage/ is worth a look. The Marathon now comes in 10 varieties, but I can’t find the Stelvio in any size…
tricerider
tricerider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down