Recumbent Riders Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mark's Infinity Project

+3
Racer46
Peder Torgersen
R42Pilot
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mark's Infinity Project - Page 2 Empty Re: Mark's Infinity Project

Post by R42Pilot Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:11 am

So, tonight, I was amazed... I went to the LBS tonight and scored a 20" 451 tire. I was amazed they had not only one, but several. They were regular old Primo Comets, but that was OK, because they were cheap. They also had some 27" HP tires, so I grabbed one of those, too. the only tubes they had for 20" 451 were presta, so I grabbed some Schrader to Presta adapters. I also grabbed a pretty sexy looking BMX brake that looked like it might work for my back brake.

So, I get home with all my treasures and first thing I try was the brake. Shocked I think I could have run a 26" wheel with that brake... No way it was going to work for a 27", or even a 700c. So, I decide to change out my tires (which, by the way, are still holding air). I pull the tires off and the rubber rim strips come slithering out. Shocked They're garbage... Big time. The good news, I guess, is both tires had Mr. Tuffies in them. I was kind of worried about the cheap tires I bought, but when I saw those tire liners, I was Very Happy That'll work!

So... Tomorrow, I'm going to another bike shop that specializes in fixed gear bikes.. I reckon I can score a brake caliper there and no doubt can get the rim tape I need. I'll be taking the Infinity on the breakfast ride on Sunday, for sure! That will be about 30 miles and a pretty decent shake down for a 17 year old bike that's been on the shelf for awhile.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rydabyk Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:30 am

At least you've got some LBS to choose from. We have 2 here. I Mountain Bike and 1 Roadie, neither one cares much for bents though.

Walt
rydabyk
rydabyk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:52 pm

Today was the maiden voyage for the 17 year old Infinity. At least, I should say, the first time I've ridden it farther than around the block. I'd be willing to bet this marks the first time in at least ten years the bike has been on the road. I know for a fact the guy I bought it from never rode it and he said he had it "a long time". I took it the bike was in the incomplete condition it I acquired it in the entire time he owned it.

As I rolled down the street toward the ride start, I could tell right away this was not my regular bike. I felt confined and had a real hard time NOT putting input to the handlebar! But, I hammered on down the road and got used to it pretty fast. I noticed right away how the bike soaked up the road... Maybe smoother than my suspended Cruzbike. Funny how 68" of wheelbase will do that for you! I was still disgruntled a little how I could feel so cramped up on a bike that long.

I made it to the ride start and right away, my friends started hitting me with all the questions about the bike. They were amazed at the original cost... Still amazed at the final cost! After all the questions were answered, we departed. I varied our route today on purpose because I wanted to see how she did on the uphills. Well, to tell the truth, I felt like a slug. That's not necessarily a reflection on the Infinity; when I concentrated and spun right, I rolled pretty good. But, I couldn't get over feeling cramped and my spin wasn't comfortable, or consistent. I think if I rode this bike consistently, this is something that would change pretty quickly.

Descents were pretty good, the bike tracked really nice and I had no issues. In fact, at one point, I was cruising along, pretty sure I was doing mid 30's and it occured to me I was putting a lot of faith in a seventeen year old bike I was riding for the very first time. I started feathering the brakes and kept it sane. A short, but miserable climb on some choppy pavement was no fun, but followed by a long downhill run where I could really let the bike go. I got her into top gear and took the lead down the hill. It was great fun when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, I got a high speed wobble that put my sphincter into a high speed puckering action! I thought I was getting a flat, or something, but once I was under control, all seemed fine. The only think I can figure is I moved the handlebar suddenly, or something. The cables are tight and this was the only time the bike acted skittish. I'm pretty certain it was all me.

After the breakfast stop and with a belly full of breakfast burrito, we headed back for the barn. The return route is more uphill, but really just gentle river grade. I was abe to power up that pretty well, so the bike is definitley capable of being pretty quick and agile. I had not trouble maneuvering it around and it got lots of gawks from passersby. The thing I noticed most, though, was how much wind my chest caught. I'm not used to being so upright as I am on this bike and it was noticeable how the wind was hitting me.

The Linear is fun and I'm glad she's in my fleet. She could never replace any of my Cruzbikes, though.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardtailcruzer Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:09 am

He Mark,

Pretty cool! Looks like it runs well.

I was looking at the "before" pictures - that's a pretty elegant way of turning a standard fork into a USS steering fork. No welding, and it looks secure and stable, and it'll work on any fork with a brake through-hole.

Interesting stuff...

Good Onya!

Hardtailcruzer

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:48 am

Thanks, Doug.. I agree, it's a pretty cool set-up. I think it's fun and I'll probably keep it around.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by nordmann56 Thu May 07, 2009 1:20 pm

Hey Mark!

Interesting read. You have done a good job. I don't think I would have been brave enough to touch that bike.
You didn't seem cramped in the video.
nordmann56
nordmann56

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Thu May 07, 2009 2:14 pm

nordmann56 wrote:Hey Mark!

Interesting read. You have done a good job. I don't think I would have been brave enough to touch that bike.
You didn't seem cramped in the video.

Thank you! It's a pretty fun bike. I don't ride it much, but it looks good decorating my garage!

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2