Recumbent Riders Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arrgh!! Stains on my garage floor…

+6
"A"
Kirk
Racer46
Nightturkey
Admin
tricerider
10 posters

Go down

Arrgh!! Stains on my garage floor… Empty Arrgh!! Stains on my garage floor…

Post by tricerider Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:35 am

Can anyone suggest a chainlube that doesn’t drip and leave stains my garage floor. The stuff I’m currently using makes a real mess! Also, any ideas about how to remove these oily stains?
tricerider
tricerider

Male

Back to top Go down

Arrgh!! Stains on my garage floor… Empty Re: Arrgh!! Stains on my garage floor…

Post by Admin Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:38 pm

imppact wrote:Can anyone suggest a chainlube that doesn’t drip and leave stains my garage floor. The stuff I’m currently using makes a real mess! Also, any ideas about how to remove these oily stains?

I use Pro Link. Seems to do a good job, you apply it and wait a couple minutes so it gets into the rollers and pins then wipe the chain down to remove any excess. I've never had any problem having it get on the floor. As far as removing the lube from the floor I think you can go to an automotive place like NAPA or Autozone and they have some type of chemical you can buy that will remove it.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tricerider Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:55 pm

I’ll try Prolink and see how I get on. The stuff I currently have is a spray-on motorcycle chain lube. According to the can it has “anti-fling” properties, but it gets everywhere and is so sticky that’s its almost impossible to remove ~ A bad buy I’m afraid!
tricerider
tricerider

Male

Back to top Go down

Arrgh!! Stains on my garage floor… Empty Oil stains

Post by Nightturkey Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Good old-fashioned ground-clay Kitty Litter soaks up oil pretty well. Sprinkle it on, let it sit, sweep it up.
Nightturkey
Nightturkey
Actionbent Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:13 am

I was reading in an automotive magazine that they use oven cleaner to degrease their garage. Spray it on, let it sit and hose it off. I haven't tried this so YMMV.
Racer46
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kirk Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:33 am

I use White Lightning Clean Ride. Its a Parafin based lube, and doesn't make such a mess. Their Elite lube is good even on the Oregon Coast, where you get a lot of rain and salt.
Kirk
Kirk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by "A" Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:00 pm

Please, it's a garage, it should have some stins on the floor.
Arrgh!! Stains on my garage floor… 70-54
"A"

Male

Back to top Go down

Arrgh!! Stains on my garage floor… Empty I used white lightning too and got a white stains on my black driveway. I now spray the white ligthing into a paper towel to advoid drip and then apply the wet towel to the chain. Works well.

Post by wtwalsh Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:38 pm

Kirk wrote:I use White Lightning Clean Ride. Its a Parafin based lube, and doesn't make such a mess. Their Elite lube is good even on the Oregon Coast, where you get a lot of rain and salt.

wtwalsh

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:22 pm

I've got a garage full of different kinds of chain lubes. I'm not buying any more until I use all this crap up! I don't think it matters too much, to tell the truth. Plus, if you're putting so much on your chain that it's dripping, you're using way too much. You should lube each link and plate, spin the pedals for a few minutes to allow it to work in, then wipe off the excess.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by carlos Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:57 pm

When I have oil, or grease stains spray some simple green ( or similar product found at auto parts store) let it soak for five minutes the kitty litter or saw dust.

This method has worked great for me. I use to work as a mechanic, and a clean freak!

carlos

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by richard Wed May 20, 2009 12:52 am

I agree with R42Pilot. If you are using so much oil it drips, you are using too much!

As for me, I wash my chain in kerosene and brush it clean with a brass brisle brush. I let it dry outside in the sun. I then lube it with Mobil 1 oil on each plate and roller. I run the chain backward several times letting it set between times. I then wipe the outside of the chain to get it reasonably dry. I wipe it down after each ride and re-lube as I need to. BTW it never drips.

richard
Recumbent Rider
Recumbent Rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum