growing collection

View previous topic View next topic Go down

growing collection

Post by teacherbill on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:10 pm

Said something to a young friend of my older son. I am looking for y-frame discard bikes. WOW did I hit the jack-pot today. While walking out to the garbage cans for them to be taken on a little walk to the curb, I tripped over not 1, not 2, but 3 Y-frames a 26 inch aluminum, 26 inch steel, and a 20 inch steel. cheers Now comes the task. I am going to use the aluminum after I weight it in comparison to my current hard-tail conversion. Should be an easy swap-out but will end up with a little bike cushion and a bit lower to the ground. If my thinking is correct my 700c wheels should bolt right on. Is that correct or will I need a few minor tweaks of the frame? Also need to know a dimension because I bought my conversion already assembled and I think parts were modified in length. What is the length of the steering tube? When I get home I will start the break-down and clean up phase..... Very Happy thumbs up

Mongoose Cruzbike Conversion
recumbent trainer in front of a computer playback system for "dark" training
Giant OCR2

"Pain is only temporary, quitting is forever." Lance Armstrong
teacherbill

Male

Back to top Go down

Re: growing collection

Post by teacherbill on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:55 pm

Almost stripped down to the frame. Working on the bike's old crank. Rust bunnies have had a good time with the close tolerances. I think I hear by electric powered saws-all starting without me........ I hope the 700c work .......... Maybe I will check before I really get carried away ..... nah Very Happy

Giant OCR2

teacherbill

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:11 pm

I think the problem you might have with the 700's is the brake position. The wheel itself should fit.
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by teacherbill on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:55 pm

That is what I am finding out as you have stated. Just a small engineering problem. Who needs brakes anyways? Lately I have been coming to a full stop by sliding on various parts of my body. Having a bugger of a time getting the crank off. Just finished trying to drown the thing in wd40. Will try to get it to move later. How was the time off? Did you get to ride a little?

Giant OCR2

teacherbill

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:03 pm

Got in about 50 miles. I had mechanical problems with the bike & the trike. I'll have them sorted out today.
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top