Box On The Porch

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Box On The Porch

Post by Racer46 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:47 am

Got home from work and found a box on the porch. My used Cruzbike kit has arrived. Everything appears to be there except for a couple of washers. I will review the instructions in the morning and start assembly on Thursday.
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Re: Box On The Porch

Post by R42Pilot on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Cool beans! I guess I'm trying your flavor and your trying mine!

Mark
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:32 pm

The kit:

The doner:

Standover height is 28". My inseam is 29". It's going to be close. Started stripping the doner. I'm going to have to fire up the compressor and get the air chisel out to remove the brazons on the top tube so I can test fit the seat. I need to start getting ready for work so that's a project for tomorrow.
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:52 pm

It's going to be a high seat, no doubt, but you should be able to get a taste for how it's going to ride. It looks like you're going to need a quill stem adapter, which means you won't be needing the super long bolt for this build. Keep it, though, because when you get a better frame, you will.

COOL! Bike projects are the best!

Mark
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:35 pm

Haven't quite figured out how the steering post will attach to the adaptor. It appears that the tube is flared on one end but there is no clamp in the kit and none called for in the parts list. Maybe it will come clear when I get the adaptor. I’ve never had a threadless headset. scratch

I’ll loose a little height when I switch from knobbies to a road tire. Not too worried at this point. I want to spend as little money on this experiment as possible so the adaptor and some cables are it. Once I’m sure I like it I’ll find a better donor.

When I got married the first time, in the late 1970’s, I had a pair of 3” platform shoes. My ex-wife is 6’1” and I’m 5’10” I had to do something. Wish I still had those shoes, they’d come in handy when I start to ride this thing. Laughing
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:53 pm

Racer46 wrote:Haven't quite figured out how the steering post will attach to the adaptor. It appears that the tube is flared on one end but there is no clamp in the kit and none called for in the parts list. Maybe it will come clear when I get the adaptor. I’ve never had a threadless headset. scratch
The clamp is on the end of the TFT tube, the part with the pivot. It looks like it's already assembled for you.

Mark
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:22 pm

Ahh O.K. Thanx.
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:33 pm

Actually, it looks like both pivots are pre-assembled, which will save you some time. My second build took the better part of a day and that included removing it from the original bike I built and installing it on this one. I also had to use a quill adapter and had to file the cap down so it would go up inside the riser.

Mark
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Any reason I couldn't use a standard quill and just cut the riser off?
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:31 pm

Racer46 wrote:Any reason I couldn't use a standard quill and just cut the riser off?

No reason at all, so long as you end up with something close to 1 1/8". You can probably shim, if you're a little shy.

Mark
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:14 am

I have a question for you Cruzbike Kit owners, Does the kit you order to convert your bike fit any bicycle or do you order it for a specific bike.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:22 am

One of the Cruzbike gurus put it best, the Cruzbike kit is the closest thing tinkerers have to bike Leggos.

It's one kit that fits all. I've had mine on two different bikes. I think Defjack has had his on four. It does absolutely no irreversable damage to the bike, so if the frame doesn't suit you, or you just get bored with it, you can put it back to a regular bicycle and put the kit on something else. Pretty cool, them bike Leggos.

Mark
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:40 am

You say It's one kit that fits all, I have too wonder about that.scratch Are you using the same Crank and Bottom Bracket that's already on the bike because I always thought they were different between a road bike and mtb. I also noticed the kit apparently doesn't come with handle bars so I'm guessing you have to supply them as well? Sorry about all the questions but I'm still trying to figure out how this thing works.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:49 am

Admin wrote:You say It's one kit that fits all, I have too wonder about that.scratch Are you using the same Crank and Bottom Bracket that's already on the bike because I always thought they were different between a road bike and mtb. I also noticed the kit apparently doesn't come with handle bars so I'm guessing you have to supply them as well? Sorry about all the questions but I'm still trying to figure out how this thing works.

No worries.

As long as the bottom bracket is standard one piece 68mm, it will switch over. mtb and road bottom brackets size wise are the same. Cranks would be different because mtb would have smaller chainrings, but they'll work. The stem and handlebar from your donor bike move right up to the top of the riser, if you want.

The first donor bike I built up had such cheesy stuff on it, I carted it right out to the dumpster. I already had a better wheelset, better components, etc. I ended up buying brakes and levers, that was about it.

Mark
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:29 pm

Not much accomplished today. I did learn something. Brazing is a lot stronger than I thought it was. In fact it’s stronger than the cheap steel this bike’s made of.

Braze on's removed

A little paint to keep the rust at bay.

Due to work and family commitments, that's going to be about it for the progress until Tuesday.
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:38 am

Got the bike stripped today. Sorry no pictures. I'll post some of the frame tomorrow. Mounted the seat to see how high it will be. This is going to be a tippy toe bike but should be O.K. to learn on.

Things I learned today:

It's almost impossible to controll a bike with no handlebars, even just sitting on the seat.

The right side of the bottom bracket is left hand thread.
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:23 am

Racer46 wrote:Got the bike stripped today. Sorry no pictures. I'll post some of the frame tomorrow. Mounted the seat to see how high it will be. This is going to be a tippy toe bike but should be O.K. to learn on.

Let's just hope you're a natural.... Tippy toe panic stops are not fun!

Racer46 wrote:Things I learned today:

It's almost impossible to controll a bike with no handlebars, even just sitting on the seat.

The right side of the bottom bracket is left hand thread.

All that fun and you learned stuff too? Wow, it was your lucky day! Very Happy

Mark
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:51 am

One other thing. I wish the previous owner, who took a headder on the bike which is why he decided to sell, would have cleaned off the blood before he shipped the kit to me. Maybe he was trying to tell me something.
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot on Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 am

Racer46 wrote:One other thing. I wish the previous owner, who took a headder on the bike which is why he decided to sell, would have cleaned off the blood before he shipped the kit to me. Maybe he was trying to tell me something.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry. Embarassed

Mark
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:05 pm

Got the rear wheel on today. Started to hang the front drop outs. Both processes are a little bit of trial & error. My rear drop outs are 130mm not 135mm so I had to find a way to make the axle fit. Fortunatly the origanal cones were a little shorter than the ones supplied with the kit so I used them. The new front drop outs require some shims to get the spacing right. To avoid taking the nyloc nuts off and on repeatedly I'm using a diffrent bolt and nut to figure out the spacers and will use the kit hardware once I put it together for good.
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:15 pm

A picture of the frame stripped with the seat installed:

One of my progress so far:

Front drop outs installed, wheels installed, BB in the boom and boom attached to the drop outs. Waiting on the steering adapter from Nashbar so I can finish the easy stuff. Then it's on to cables and chain.
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by defjack on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:48 pm

Im using the same frame and will be posting a few pictures soon. Jack
defjack

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Racer46 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:17 pm

I think this frame is going to be a little large for me. Stand over height before I installed the seat is 28", my inseam is 29". This bike was sitting in the shed so I'll build it up as a trainer. If I like it I'll get a bike with a smaller frame.
Racer46
Recumbent Cyclist
Recumbent Cyclist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:24 am

Looks like it's coming along well, though! Starting to look like a Cruzer.

Mark
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by defjack on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:23 am

Finished my Huffy today picture is up on the Cruzbike site in conversion brag board.Seat highth came out at 26in. My inseam is 29 in also its a little high but ridable. Jack
defjack

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top