Recumbent Riders Social Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hammertruck

4 posters

Go down

Hammertruck Empty Hammertruck

Post by Nightturkey Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:25 am

Just went on the RANS website; they're putting out a utility version of their crank-forward called the HammerTruck. Oy, what a beast! ...and on a related note (e-flat, or perhaps c-sharp), they've also got a low-slung Delta trike they call the Tri-zard (but that's a subject for another thread).
Nightturkey
Nightturkey
Actionbent Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Hammertruck Empty Re: Hammertruck

Post by R42Pilot Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:20 pm

For some reason, I like the Hammer Truck. Along the same lines, while it's not a recumbent, or even a crank forward, Surly has a model called "The Big Dummy" That is the same idea.

I've thought of having another rear triangle built for my old Cruzbike conversion frame. It's a dual suspension mtb frame and I thought you could take that rear section out, have another made that would extend the wheelbase, add the built in pannier racks, or something along the line of the rack system on the Hammer Truck and make the whole thing bolt up solid; no suspension. The added wheelbase should make the ride smooth and in theory, you could always bolt the suspension triangle back in for a sportier bike.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:52 am

The Hammer truck With Rack, Runner Sleeves, and Sling Bag- 40.75 lbs. Your built would most likely weigh even more, wouldn't you be better off just buying a trailer to pull Question
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:58 am

Admin wrote:The Hammer truck With Rack, Runner Sleeves, and Sling Bag- 40.75 lbs. Your built would most likely weigh even more, wouldn't you be better off just buying a trailer to pull Question

Good point and I already own a Burley Nomad. The downside is, the footprint. Not always a good thing to be towing on busy city streets!

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:26 am

I pull the Nomad behind my Catrike and I've used it behind the GTT also. I run taillights on the trailer along with two flags.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:44 am

Admin wrote:I pull the Nomad behind my Catrike and I've used it behind the GTT also. I run taillights on the trailer along with two flags.

For commuting, though, the Nomad is overkill most of the time. I guess you could tow it in on Monday with food and clothes, then tow it home Friday with dirty laundry. Still way overkill.

I worked on my conversion bike again today. I put a rear rack on it, so now I have a five-day-a-week commuter. I'm pretty enthused about it, too.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:28 pm

R42Pilot wrote:
Admin wrote:I pull the Nomad behind my Catrike and I've used it behind the GTT also. I run taillights on the trailer along with two flags.

For commuting, though, the Nomad is overkill most of the time. I guess you could tow it in on Monday with food and clothes, then tow it home Friday with dirty laundry. Still way overkill.

I worked on my conversion bike again today. I put a rear rack on it, so now I have a five-day-a-week commuter. I'm pretty enthused about it, too.

Mark

Yea it would be overkill for a commuter and if I were to do that I have saddle bags but I use it to go to Grocery store and I'll have up to $150 worth of Groceries at a time, ( with Beer) in fact they make a top rack for the Nomad and I've given thought to buying it.
I also pack it up and use for the occasional weekend thing behind the GTT. The thing only weighs 14lbs before you load it and behind a Trike you don't even know it's there.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by R42Pilot Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:58 pm

I towed my Nomad behind one of my uprights on a multiweek self supported tour. Like you said, you never knew it was back there. Even on high speed descents, it was pretty well behaved.

Mark
R42Pilot
R42Pilot

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rydabyk Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:08 pm

I finally got to ride a Big Dummy, wait that didn't come out right, don't want the wife to get suspicous...lets try---I rode the Surly version of the HammerTruck this past week they call it the Big Dummyand all I can say is WOW! What fun. Nice smoooooth ride and not cumbersome at all, I was under the impression that it might be and it was a little bit of a learning curve to get used to but after about 20 miles or so it felt fine. You can haul an awful lot of groceries or whatever with that and talk about stares!!! My recumbents never got that much attention. I'd love to try the HammerTruck now to compare the two. If/when I can become completely car free I could see where one of these would be just the ticket.

Walt
rydabyk
rydabyk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum