Marauder Low Racer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marauder Low Racer

Post by John Lewis on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Must say I like the look of the new forum.
Thought you might like to see some shots of my Atomic Zombie Marauder 2 Lowracer. It almost 3 metres long and weighs nearly 20kg but it is fast. I added a rear wheel disk and it was even faster.
I had to add a neck rest as it was a bit uncomfortable without it. It has been finished over a year now.
Enjoy the pictures. All done with a stick welder.

John

John Lewis

Back to top Go down

Re: Marauder Low Racer

Post by rydabyk on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Great looking homebuild. I was wondering, looking at the steering, is it very "twitchy"?

Walt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John Lewis on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:20 am

Hello Walt,
Yes it is great fun to ride.
In answer to your question It is no worse than any other I've ridden. In fact I can ride no hands if I have a bit of speed and don't pedal. If I pedal I lose it.
The trail is a bit excessive and if you turn the bars beyond a certain distance it tries to tighten up the turn and you have to hold it out but this is only noticeable at low speed.
I really should do a cut and weld and lower the trail. I left it pretty much as in the plans. All the AZ bikes that I've built seem to have way too much trail. I lowered it hugely on my DeltaWolf trike and it was a great improvement. Should do the same with this.

John

John Lewis

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesCat on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:08 pm

John:

What brand of seat is that? And what paint did you use?

Excellent job.

2008 Sun EZ Sport CX - "Bluetiful"
2003 Specialized Hardrock - "Hardiboi"
2001 Giant Yukon SE - "The Roadley"

http://azbluescat.blogspot.com/
BluesCat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rydabyk on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:40 am

I was wondering that too. It looks like a Ventist pad and also a nice touch with them matching neck rest!

Walt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John Lewis on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:27 am

BluesCat wrote:John:

What brand of seat is that? And what paint did you use?

Excellent job.

Hi BluesCat,
Thanks for the compliment.

The paint is rattle can Rustoleum. It was hard to get a good finish but I wanted to try it. Usually I use automotive type lacquers from a can and finish with clear coat.

The seat is moulded from plywood. I soaked some in the bath and clamped it to a jig. When dry I glued the layers together with exterior grade white glue and cut to shape with a sabre saw.
There are pictures of the process on my "Now its a Marauder" thread on Atomic Zombie if you want to go look. I "Stole" the idea from some posts I saw over on BROL a while back.

John

John Lewis

Back to top Go down

Post by John Lewis on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:43 am

rydabyk wrote:I was wondering that too. It looks like a Ventist pad and also a nice touch with them matching neck rest!

Walt

Hi Walt,
The seat cushion is a clone of a ventisit pad. I used some material called ACS10. Quite expensive stuff but I have enough for two in the piece I bought. That cushion is 3 layers thick. Two would have done. It is good to ride on and sometimes too well ventilated in cold weather.

There are photos and a description of how I did it over on the Atomic Zombie thread I mentioned in the last post. It is towards the end of the posts if I recall.

The neck rest is made from a piece of Z bent aluminium, a piece of ply and some dense foam. As I had a small piece of the ACS10 I made a mini pad. 3 layers, the middle one being the foam. It is a bit scratchy though and may get a topping of spandex.

John

John Lewis

Back to top Go down

Post by BluesCat on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:01 pm

John,

Wow, a handmade seat and a rattlecan paint job that rival the quality of some stuff I've seen out of a factory! Too bad the government doesn't subsidize bicycles the way they subsidize Big Oil and Big Auto. You, my friend, would make a fortune!

Where can I get some ACS10? If it ventilates the way you say it does, it sounds like it would be an ideal cover for my EZ-Sport seat. Like a lot of other 'bent riders, my bum sometimes gets really hot and sticky when I'm in the saddle for long periods in the 100°+ F temperatures in Phoenix! affraid

2008 Sun EZ Sport CX - "Bluetiful"
2003 Specialized Hardrock - "Hardiboi"
2001 Giant Yukon SE - "The Roadley"

http://azbluescat.blogspot.com/
BluesCat

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by John Lewis on Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks for the kind comments BluesCat
Sorry not to reply sooner but I've been busy and not looking at all the forums as much as I should.

This is the stuff I used. I bought it at the local plastics place in town though. They had a roll of it.

http://www.empind.com.au/cat/index.cgi/shopfront/view_by_category?category_id=11399

I believe its main use is as a mattress underlay (or should that be overlay?) for the elderly and incontinent.
Google acs10 mesh and you'll get quite a few hits.
John

John Lewis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top